The first reference to Frimley Cricket Club is an 1820 scorecard which appears in 'Lillywhite's Scores & Biographies Vol. 1' published in 1862. The game was played at Godalming, in Surrey, and participating were several of the most famous players of the day. Evidence which suggests earlier cricket in Frimley comes from the most famous resident of the time, James Lawrell (sometimes spelt Laurell) owner of Frimley Park Manor House. Lawrell attended Eton where he developed a love of cricket and represented the school on numerous occasions recorded in 'Scores & Biographies'. Lawrell also developed a love of gambling and in 1796 he played a game for Eton against Westminster 'for 100 guineas' against the wishes of the headmaster and received a flogging along with his team-mates. In 1799, when he was 19 years old, he inherited the manor house from his father and over the next few years he developed his sporting interests by sponsoring Surrey cricket. As a sponsor Lawrell also got to play for the county and again many games are recorded in 'Scores & Biographies'. As a sponsor of Surrey cricket it was in Lawrell's best interest to have the strongest eleven possible and as was the practice he employed his best player. Robert Robinson was taken on as a game keeper on the Frimley Park Estate, he had played for Hambledon towards the end of it dominance, and John Nyren the Hambledon stalwart and author of the famous 'Cricketers of my time' named Robinson as one of the best players to play at the club. Robinson is also credited as the inventor of cricket spikes and batting pads although the latter, being made of wood, made such a noise that he had to stop using them for fear of being laughed off of the ground. Robinson played for Lawrell's Surrey until 1819 when he was 54 and died 3 years later.
James Lawrell gave up the Frimley Park Manor house in 1837 and moved to nearby Farnborough, he had already sold off most of it's land and sold the rest in the following years, his love of gambling had stayed with him since his schooldays.
It is hard to believe that Frimley with such a talented side in 1820, the Lord of the Manor being a county sponsor and player for the previous twenty years, should be playing their first season.
References to Frimley Cricket Club appear from 1859 onwards in Sheldrakes Aldershot and Sandhurst Military Gazette. Several games are mentioned against local sides such as Aldershot, Pirbright, North Camp and Cambridge Town (now Camberley).